lichess.org
Donate

Best way to improve to improve board vision ?

What does everyone think the best way to increase board vision is?

I find I lose the majority of my games to simple one or two move tactics or in time trouble, so I would say that board vision or perhaps time management are my issues, but I seem to have tactical issues even at slower time controls -- at the same time I feel like the tactics puzzles I'm doing aren't relevant to my actual play - they are usually far more complex than the stuff I seem to encounter in my games, and even if I try easier ones, it's a lot easier to know there is a solution on the board than in a real game (where you don't have that knowledge). The other thing, and I don't know how many other people have this, is a sort of tactical tunnel vision, where you're so focused on a plan or idea that you blunder elsewhere on the board.
What helped me, as someone who is still at amateur level but who has progressed a lot since starting,

is setting a goal and holding myself to it. You have to set easily reachable goals to start, and then progressively increase difficulty incrementally. I want to play, say, three games in a row without blundering a piece, or an exchange, or a pawn. And if I fail, I must reset the counter to zero, no exceptions. When I have done that, I reward myself.

Hope this helps!
"How to improve board vision" = "How to get better"

It's the same thing. Gradual improvement through study and practice.
I think positional analysis is under appreciated at the amateur level... A GM can analyze most of the positions we encounter in seconds. If you have a complete understanding of the position you are likely to find the best candidate moves. Winning tactics flow from a strong positional understanding. I confess that I do not analyze each position throughout the course of the game... it takes too long. Like most amateurs I play with a sort of tunnel vision and don't have an objective understanding of what's going on... To correct that would involve playing longer time controls and to spend time analyzing master games. At present it takes me maybe 20 minutes to a half hour to analyze a complex position, with practice maybe I can get it down to 2 or 3 minutes?
Try what #4 said. Also, playing over an annotated master game on a board and following the given variations in your head might help. Doing hard puzzles will increase your calculation and visualization since you usually have to see 3-5 moves in with many variations. Playing blindfolded games will challenge your visualization skills also. Finally, there are videos on visualization here on lichess.org lichess.org/video?q=visualization. Good luck, and have fun!
<Comment deleted by user>
<Comment deleted by user>
www.chessvideos.tv/chess-visualization-trainer.php

Here are some training tools just for visualization. You can try the Square Color Quiz. I spent a few hours on it so far and it helped my visualization. If it gets better, you can move on the the other two, but they're more difficult. Other than that, you should just play and solve puzzles. It will automatically improve your board vision. And if you have problems with easy tactics, just keep solving easier puzzles. You can set lichess puzzles to -300 or -600 and solve them or get a book with simple tactics like "Tactics Time". I think they cost 5$, but they're great.
For me ... running the engine & trying to see why the computer engine thinks the moves are great helps me see through the 'looking glass' but yes this subject - matter is very interesting to question , Some suggest if you learned the moves early in life (Before age 8) everything is 'more natural' but these days with computers & various training anything seems possible ... like Disney for adults "BELIVE" but yeah study play play study is still the easiest advice
When you look at a board look at it right to left, our brains are used to quickly looking over anything going left to right so it will slow you down and help you focus.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.